By: D.K Choudhary
Uttar Pradesh Govt. launches JE vaccination drive in 38 districts
i. In Uttar Pradesh, a massive immunisation drive has been launched in 38 districts to eradicate Japanese Encephalitis (JE). Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath has launched the drive from Kushinagar district. The government also launched a toll-free number to get or provide any information about encephalitis. The number is 18001805544. His several cabinet colleagues also participated in the launch programmes in different districts. Drive will be continued by June 11th, 2017.
ii. Initiating the drive from a slum locality in Kushinagar district, Mr Yogi issued an appeal to all the public representatives starting from MPs to village Pradhans to give their full cooperation in the drive.
- Ram Naik is Governor of Uttar Pradesh
- Dudhwa National Park is a national park in Uttar Pradesh
- Uttar Pradesh is India’s most populous state.
- As per details from Census 2011, Uttar Pradesh has the population of 19.98 Crores.
- Mumbai is second most crowded city in the world: WEF
Mumbai is second most crowded city in the world: WEF
i. Two Indian cities — Mumbai and Kota — have been named among the world’s most crowded in a list topped by Dhaka, according to World Economic Forum (WEF) citing UN-Habitat data. With a population density of 44,500 people per square kilometre, Dhaka, the capital of Bangladesh, is the most crowded city on the planet, followed by India’s financial capital Mumbai, home to 31,700 people per square kilometre at the second place.
ii. Kota in Rajasthan with 12,100 people per square kilometre was ranked seventh. Others in the list include Medellin in Columbia ranked third with 19,700 people per square kilometre, Manila, Philippines (4th, 14,800), Casablanca, Morocco (5th, 14,200), Lagos, Nigeria (6th, 13,300), Singapore (8th, 10,200) and Jakarta, Indonesia (9th, 9,600).
- World Economic Forum (WEF) was established in 1971.
- WEF is headquartered in Geneva, Switzerland.
- The Gateway of India is a monument built during the 20th century in Mumbai City of Maharashtra state in Western India.
PM Modi inaugurates India’s longest bridge in Assam
i. Prime Minister Narendra Modi has inaugurated the country’s longest bridge – the Dhola-Sadia Bridge in Assam on. Mr Modi walked a short distance over the bridge and enjoyed two minutes of solitude amidst his hectic schedule, with a strong wind above him and gushing waters below him as his companions.
ii. Mr Modi named the bridge after legendary singer Bhupen Hazarika. This three-lane, the 9.15-kilometre bridge has been built over the Brahmaputra river. It links Dhola to Sadia, both in Assam. The bridge will reduce the distance from Rupai on NH- 37 in Assam to Meka-Roing on NH-52 in Arunachal Pradesh by 165 KM. The travel time between the two places will come down from the current six hours to just one hour, a total five-hour reduction.
- Banwarilal Purohit is Governor of Assam.
- Sarbananda Sonowal is Chief Minister of Assam.
- The Kamakhya Temple also Kamrup-Kamakhya is a Hindu temple dedicated to the mother goddess Kamakhya is in located in Kamakhya, Guwahati in Assam.
- Bhupen Hazarika was an Indian playback singer, lyricist, musician, singer, poet and film-maker from Assam.
- US Senate confirms Indian-American Amul Thapar to key judicial post
US Senate confirms Indian-American Amul Thapar to key judicial post
i. The United States Senate has confirmed Indian-American Judge Amul Thapar to a key judicial position on the powerful US court of appeals. Thapar, the first Indian-American to be nominated by US President Donald Trump for the 6th US Circuit Court of Appeals, was confirmed by the Senate 52-44, a vote on party lines.
ii. With this, 48-year-old Thapar will become the second South Asian judge to be on the US Circuit Court of Appeals, which hears appeals from Kentucky, Tennessee, Ohio and Michigan. Thapar, currently a US District Court Judge, was nominated by Trump on 21st March. Thapar received his undergraduate degree from Boston College and his law degree from the University of California, Berkeley.
- Since 1976 the US Senate Historical Office has conducted interviews with senators and staff.
- Office of Senator is in Washington, D.C.
- Donald John Trump is the 45th and current President of the United States.
- The Federal Reserve System is the central banking system of the United States.
President receives book on PM Modi’s ‘Mann Ki Baat’
i. President Pranab Mukherjee has received the first copy of two books ‘Mann Ki Baat-A Social Revolution on Radio’ and ‘Marching with a Billion-Analysing Narendra Modi’s Government at Mid term’ at Rashtrapati Bhavan in New Delhi. Speaker of Lok Sabha, Sumitra Mahajan formally released the books at a function in Rashtrapati Bhavan. The book Mann Ki Baat: A Social Revolution on Radio by Rajesh Jain is a compilation of Prime Minister Modi’s addresses to the nation on All India Radio every month under the programme Mann Ki Baat.
ii. It contains a comprehensive, qualitative and academic analysis of programme – the themes, the choice of topics, the salient features. It illustrates how this programme has connected with the New India – the youth in particular. It also presents a coherent narrative about the manner in which ‘Mann Ki Baat’ has created mass movements, including cleanliness, safer roads, and drugs free India.
iii. The book Marching with a Billion- Analysing Narendra Modi’s Government at Mid-term written by eminent journalist Uday Mahurkar analyses the monumental changes that PM Narendra Modi has brought on multiple fronts as Prime Minister on India’s governance landscape by ushering in an unprecedented culture of transparency to create a level playing field.
- ‘Mann Ki Baat’ is a unique initiative of the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi to reach the masses across the country through the Radio.
- PM Modi’s Mann Ki Baat programme was first aired on October 03rd 2014.
Google India head Rajan Anandan appointed IAMAI chairman
i. Google’s vice-president for South East Asia and India, Rajan Anandan has been appointed the new chairman of Internet and Mobile Association of India (IAMAI).
ii. He will take over from FreeCharge’s co-founder and chief executive officer Kunal Shah. MakeMyTrip Chairman & Group CEO Deep Kalra has taken over as vice-chairman from music app Saavn co-founder and president Vinodh Bhat; Facebook’s managing director – India & South Asia, Umang Bedi has been elected as the new treasurer of the association, while Subho Ray continues to be the president. The tenure of the new Council is for two years.
- The Internet & Mobile Association of India (IAMAI) is a not-for-profit industry body registered under the Societies Act, 1896.
- Founded in January 2004 by leading portals in India, IAMAI is the only specialised industry body in India representing the interests of online and mobile value added services industry