1. Shubhangi Swaroop Indian Navy’s First Female Pilot
i. In a first, a woman has been inducted as a pilot in the Indian Navy. Shubhangi Swaroop, who hails from Uttar Pradesh, will soon be flying Maritime Reconnaissance aircraft.
ii. Three other women cadets, Astha Segal from New Delhi, Roopa A from Puducherry and Sakthi Maya S from Kerala, also created history by becoming the country’s first women officers at the Naval Armament Inspectorate (NAI) branch of the Navy.
- The Indian Navy is the naval branch of the Indian Armed Forces.
- The Navy has the following three Commands, each under the control of a Flag Officer Commanding-in-Chief:-
- The Western Naval Command (Headquarters at Mumbai)
- The Eastern Naval Command (Headquarters at Visakhapatnam)
- The Southern Naval Command (Headquarters at Kochi)
2. MHA Conducted Multi State Mega Mock Tsunami Exercise 2017
i. The Indian Tsunami Early Warning Centre (ITEWC) based at Indian National Centre for Ocean Information Services (INCOIS) had conducted “Multi-State Mega Mock Exercise of Tsunami for East Coast of India”.
ii. Participants in the drill included State Disaster Management Authorities of West Bengal, Odisha, Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu and Puducherry. The mock drill was conducted in collaboration with the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) and the National Disaster Response Force (NDRF).
3. FSDC Panel Reviews Financial Events
i. The Sub-Committee of the Financial Stability and Development Council (FSDC) has reviewed the major global and domestic developments which could impinge on the country’s financial stability.
ii. The panel, headed by RBI Governor Urjit Patel, also discussed the setting up of the National Centre for Financial Education (NCFE), operationalisation of information utilities registered by the IBBI, sharing of data among regulators and the implementation status of Legal Entity Identifier (LEI).
4. Defence of Andaman & Nicobar Islands Exercise (DANX-17)
i. Defence of Andaman and Nicobar Islands Exercise (DANX) was conducted under the aegis of Andaman & Nicobar Command. The five day exercise started on 20 Nov 2017 and culminated on 24 Nov 2017.
ii. From the planning stage onwards, joint planning and integrated approach was adopted for synergistic application of forces. Main objective of the exercise was to practice & validate procedures and drills of all the Command forces aimed at defending Andaman & Nicobar Islands.
5. Migratory Birds start Arriving in Chilika Lake
i. After a long flight of thousands of miles, not often punctuated by breaks, lakhs of migratory birds have made their way to the Chilika Lake, Asia’s largest brackish water lagoon.
ii. Major bird congregations have been spotted in the wetlands of the Nalabana Bird Sanctuary inside Chilika and Mangalajodi, a major village on the banks of the lake.
- Chilika lake located in Odisha.
- It is situated at the mouth of the Daya River.
6. Bamboo not a ‘tree’ any more: President Clears Ordinance Amending Forest Act
i. President Ram Nath Kovind has cleared an ordinance amending the Indian Forest Act, 1927. The ordinance omits bamboo grown in non-forest areas from the definition of trees, thereby exempting it from requiring permits for felling or transportation.
ii. Before the ordinance was issued, the definition of tree in the Act included palm, bamboo, brushwood and cane. Bamboo grown in forest areas shall continue to be governed by the Forest Conservation Act, 1980.
7. India urges UN to declare 2018 as ‘International Year of Millets’
i. Union Agriculture Minister Radha Mohan Singh has sent a proposal to United Nations for declaring 2018 as “International Year of Millets” to raise awareness among consumers, policy makers, industry and research sector.
ii. Promotion of production and consumption of millets through conscious efforts at global level is likely to contribute substantially in the fight against targeted hunger and mitigate the effect of climate change in long run.
- Radha Mohan Singh is Union Agriculture Minister of India
- Constituency of Radha Mohan Singh- Purvi Champaran (Bihar)
- Headquarter of United Nations (UN)- New York, USA
- Secretary general of UN- Antonio Guterres
8. FDI up 17% to $25.35 bn during April-Sept this fiscal
i. Foreign direct investment (FDI) in the country increased by 17 percent to USD 25.35 billion during April-September fiscal (2017-18).
ii. The department of industrial policy and promotion stated on its ‘Make in India’ twitter handle, FDI equity during the current FY 2017–18,up to September surged by 17 per cent to USD 25.35 billion from USD 21.62 billion in the year-ago period.
9. Axis Bank Launches Blockchain-based International Payment Service
i. Private sector lender Axis Bank has launched an instant international payment services using Ripple’s enterprise blockchain technology solution for retail and corporate customers.
ii. Though an international offer, the bank is offering the facility only to its retail customers in the country to receive payments from the UAE-based Rak Bank and for its corporate customers to receive payments from Standard Chartered, Singapore.
- Axis Bank head office- Mumbai
- chief executive Officer (CEO) and MD- Shikha Sharma
- Axis Banks wins the ‘Best Use of Mobile within a Loyalty Strategy’ at the Loyalty Awards 2017
10. Lionel Messi wins fourth European Golden Shoe Award
i. Lionel Messi drew level with Cristiano Ronaldo’s tally of four European Golden Shoes after receiving the award at a ceremony in Barcelona, Spain. The FC Barcelona superstar claimed the prize – handed to Europe’s top goalscorer – for his 37 LaLiga strikes in 2016-17.
ii. It is the fourth time Messi has taken the honours, after his successes in 2010, 2012 and 2013.
- Lionel Messi is an Argentine professional footballer.
- Messi plays for Spanish club FC Barcelona.
- Cristiano Ronaldo is a Portuguese professional footballer.