i. Former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee’s birthday is being celebrated as Good Governance Day across the country on 25th December.
ii. Good Governance Day was established in 2014 to honour Mr Vajpayee by fostering awareness among the people of accountability in government.
- Atal Bihari Vajpayee was the Prime Minister of India from 1998 to 2004.
- His first entry into parliament was in 1962 through the Rajya Sabha.
- He was elected to the Lok Sabha seven times.
- In 2015, Mr Vajpayee was conferred the Bharat Ratna, India’s highest civilian award.
2. Mumbai Gets India’s First Ever AC Local Train
i. Mumbai has got India’s first ever AC suburban local train as Christmas gift. The first service of the 12-coach EMU will commence between Borivali and Churchgate. The first and 12th coaches from Churchgate end are earmarked as ladies coaches.
ii. This will be the first train with automatic doors in the suburban system. Out of 12 services of AC Local train, 8 will run fast and will only halt at major stations. The services of AC local train will replace existing 12 Non AC services.
- Present Railway Minister of India- Piyush Goyal.
3. World’s Longest Glass Bridge Opens in China
i. The world’s longest glass bridge has been opened in China to the public. Though it has a capacity to hold 2000 people, only 500 would be allowed at a time. Located in Shijiazhuang, the magnificent bridge lies 218 meters above hanging between the two cliffs in Hongyagu Scenic Area in Pingshan county.
ii. The bridge is 488 meters long and two meters wide, with two dragon statues on top that could produce smoke.
- China Capital- Beijing, Currency- Renminbi, President- Xi Jinping.
4. India’s First Runway on ‘Sea Bridge’ in Lakshadweep
i. India is all set to get its first runway on a ‘sea bridge’, as the Airports Authority of India (AAI) has been given a nod to extend Lakshadweep’s Agatti Airport.
ii. The task will be carried out by building an RCC platform on the beach and shallow area which will allow bigger ATRs to operate on the island. The Project is likely to cost about Rs 1,500 crore.
- Administrator of the Indian Union Territory of Lakshadweep- Farook Khan.
5. UP Government Signs MoU with South Korea
i. The Uttar Pradesh government signed an MoU with South Korea to enhance cooperation in the field of tourism, skill development, culture and farming.
ii. An agreement was signed in 2000 to develop Ayodhya and Gimhae as sister cities, following which a memorial was constructed in Ayodhya which is visited by a large number of tourists from South Korea every year.
- UP CM- Yogi Adityanath, Governor- Ram Naik.
6. Bengaluru Becomes First Indian City to have its Own Logo
i. Karnataka’s capital city Bengaluru has become the first Indian city to have its own logo after the state government launched it. The logo was designed by a design start-up and uses both English and Kannada alphabets.
ii. The red and black logo is part English and part Kannada. With this, Bengaluru joins a select group of global cities like New York City, Melbourne and Singapore to have a tourism logo of its own.
- Karnataka CM- Siddaramaiah, Governor- Vajubhai Vala.