1. Sushil Kumar Clinches Gold at Commonwealth Wrestling Championships
i. Double Olympic medalist Sushil Kumar clinched a gold medal at the Commonwealth Wrestling Championships in South Africa. Sushil defeated New Zealand’s Akash Khullar via a pinfall in the final of the 74kg freestyle category to clinch the medal.
ii. Parveen Rana also won a bronze medal in the same category. Another Olympic medalist, Sakshi Malik also clinched a gold medal in the championships. Sakshi defeated New Zealand’s Tayla Tuahine Ford in the final of the 62kg women’s freestyle category.
won a bronze in the 2016 Rio Games.
- Sushil Kumar won the 2010 world title, a silver medal at the 2012 London Olympics and a bronze medal at the 2008 Beijing Olympics.
2. PV Sindhu Wins Silver at Dubai World Badminton Superseries Finals
i. Top Indian shuttler P V Sindhu won the Silver medal in women’s singles summit clash of the Dubai World Super Series Final in Dubai. She went down fighting against World No. 2 Akane Yamaguchi of Japan.
ii. In the prestigious season-ending tournament finale, Sindhu lost in three games, to Yamaguchi in the final.
3. 2002 World Cup Winner Kaka Retires from Football
i. Former AC Milan and Real Madrid midfielder Kaka, who lifted the 2002 World Cup with Brazil, announced his retirement from football.
ii. Kaka, who won the Champions League and the Ballon d’Or award in 2007 while playing for AC Milan, had become the most expensive footballer in history after his then-world record £56 million transfer from Milan to Madrid. He was the last Brazilian to be voted world player of the year in 2007.
- Ballon d’Or award winner for 2017 is Cristiano Ronaldo.
4. Mo Farah Wins BBC’s Sports Personality of the Year Award
i. World 10,000m champion Sir Mo Farah has been voted BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2017. The 34-year-old, a four-time Olympic champion, won his third successive world 10,000m gold medal in London in August.
ii. He becomes the first long-distance runner to win the Sports Personality award since Paula Radcliffe in 2002.
5. Real Madrid Presented with the FIFA World Champions Badge
i. Real Madrid has earned the honor of being able to wear the official FIFA World Champions Badge on their competition jerseys for the duration of 2018 by defeating Gremio in the final of the FIFA Club World Cup UAE 2017.
ii. Real Madrid will be able to display the emblem all the way up to the next FIFA Club World Cup, which will take place in the United Arab Emirates in December 2018.
- Madrid had won FIFA World Champions Badges in 2014, 2016, 2017.
- The first team to ever receive the FIFA World Champions Badge was the Italy men’s national team for their victory at the 2006 FIFA World Cup.
6. Andhra Pradesh Cabinet Approves Pension for State’s Transgenders
i. The Andhra Pradesh Cabinet approved a scheme to provide a pension of Rs 1500 to transgenders above 18 years of age in the state.
ii. Under this scheme, the transgenders will be provided ration cards, plots, and scholarships, also skill development for financial stability. After Kerala and Odisha, Andhra Pradesh becomes the next state to sanction pension scheme for the transgender community.
- Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister- N Chandrababu Naidu, Governor- E.S Lakshmi Narasimhan.