By: D.K Choudhary
International Day of Families: 15 May
ii. The theme of 2017 is “Families, education and well-being”.
iii. This year’s observance focuses on the role of families and family-oriented policies in promoting education and overall well-being of their members.
Govt revised base year of WPI, IIP to 2011-2012 from 2004-05
ii. As per the new series, April WPI inflation stood at 3.85 percent and March IIP at 2.7 percent. The Consumer Price Index-based inflation in April stood at 2.99 percent.
Kerala tops, Bihar last in public affairs index
India-UK agree on MoU in urban transport sector
i. India and the UK agreed to sign an MoU in the urban transport sector for cooperation in policy planning, technology transfer and institutional organisation.
ii. Union Minister for Road Transport, Highways and Shipping Nitin Gadkari was on a three-day visit, finalised the bilateral cooperation arrangement between the Transport for London (TfL) and the India’s Ministry of Road Transport and Highways to cover a wide range of transport mobility solutions and associated activities in urban environments.
Telangana hosted first Videsh Sampark
ii. It was inaugurated by the Minister of State for External Affairs, Gen. V.K. Singh.
iii. Also, Telangana has become the first state in the country where the pilot ‘e-Sanad’ project for online attestation of documents, was rolled out.
RBI puts restriction on Uco Bank’s business
ii. RBI has initiated ‘Prompt Corrective Action’ (PCA) framework on UCO bank on account of high bad loans and negative return of assets.
iii. UCO has become the second lender to face business restrictions after IDBI Bank.
IIT Kharagpur collaborates to turn Varanasi into smart city
ii. 3D geological modeling of the geology under Varanasi will be prepared to help improve the building of new transport and service infrastructure.
iii. It would be the first major 3D subsurface urban study and planning of its kind in India.
ISKCON’s Govardhan Eco Village wins Smart Village Award
ii. The award, “Smart Village,” has been instituted by the India Trade Promotion Organisation (ITPO).
India ranks 26 in World Bank’s electricity accessibility list
i. India moved up to the 26th spot in the global electricity accessibility rankings of the World Bank’s Ease of Doing Business index 2016.
ii. India was at the 99th position in 2014, it jumped 73 ranks in 2016. The compounded annual growth in electricity prices in 2014-16 stood at 3.27% compared to 5.97% in 2004-14.
Palestine President arrives on 4-day visit to India
ii. The visit of President Mahmoud Abbas will provide an opportunity for reviewing the entire gamut of bilateral relations, regional and international issues.
iii. This is his third State visit to India.
Rafael Nadal wins 5th Madrid Open title
ii. In Madrid he battled past a determined Dominic Thiem of Austria to win the crown in straight sets 7-6, 6-4.
iii. For the 14-times Grand Slam Winner, it was also the 72nd tournament win of his career.
India win 1 gold, 5 silver & 4 bronze in Asian Wrestling Championship
ii. Bajrang Punia defeated Lee Seung-chul of Korea to win the gold medal in the men’s 65 kg freestyle category at the Asian Wrestling Championship.
iii. The Indian wrestlers overall bagged 10 medals comprising a gold, five silver, and four bronze.
Important Takeaways from above GK Update for Exams are as follows-
- WPI stands for Wholesale Price Index.
- IIP stands for Index of Industrial Production.
- The team which prepared the PAI 2017 report was led by Dr. C.K.Mathew.
- Pinarayi Vijayan is the current Chief Minister of Kerala.
- Palanisamy Sathasivam is the current Governor of Kerala.
- International Day of Families is organized by United Nations
- United Nations Headquarters in New York
- The current Secretary-General of the UN, and the ninth occupant of the post is Mr. Antonio Guterres of Portugal
- Union Minister for Road Transport, Highways and Shipping is Mr. Nitin Gadkari
- London is the Capital of UK
- Theresa May is the Prime Minister of UK
- Pound Sterling is the Currency of UK.
- CM of Telangana is Chandrasekhar Rao and the governor is E. S. L. Narasimhan
- Hyderabad is the capital of Telangana.
- MD and CEO of UCO bank is Shri Ravi Krishan Takkar
- UCO bank headquarter is in Kolkata
- Newly appointed Deputy Governor of RBI is BP Kanungo.
- Tagline of the UCO Bank is ‘Honour your Trust’
- IIT Kharagpur was founded in 1951.
- ISKCON full form is International Society for Krishna Consciousness.
- Rafael “Rafa” Nadal Parera is a Spanish professional tennis player
- Nadal became the first man to win the Monte-Carlo Masters Tournament by 10 times in 2017.
- The last edition of the Championship was held in Bangkok in which India bagged 9 Medals
- Sakshi Malik, the first Indian woman wrestler to win an Olympics medal, clinched silver in the Championship.
- She was defeated by Japan’s Risako Kawai in the 60kg category final.
- Capital of Palestine is East Jerusalem
- Its Prime minister is Rami Hamdallah.
- Arabic is the official language of Palestine.