By: D.K Choudhary
ii. The theme of WMBD 2017 is “Their Future is Our Future – A Healthy Planet for Migratory Birds and People”.
Supreme Court becomes paperless, digital court
ii. Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the digital filing system at a function in New Delhi where the Integrated Case Management System will be connected with the Supreme Court website.
SAMADHAN: Rajnath Singh coins an acronym to wipe out left-wing terror
ii. The Minister explained the acronym as S-smart leadership, A-aggressive strategy, M-motivation and training, A-actionable intelligence, D-dashboard-based KPIs (key performance indicators) and KRAs (key result areas), H-harnessing technology, A-action plan for each theatre and N-no access to financing.
DIPAM launches online investor facilitation platform
ii. Set up by the Department of Investment and Public Asset Management (DIPAM), the platform will be an interactive forum for all stakeholders, including investors, investment banks, law firms, public sector units and administrative ministries that are involved in stake sales.
Cashkaro.com ties up with YES Bank to launch card-linked offers
ii. The offer will be currently available on all YES BANK debit cards, and will be extended to all other payment products of YES Bank in the near future.
Oracle launches cloud computing service for India
ii. In an effort to simplify the tax regime in India and to ensure higher compliance with tax laws, Oracle’s ERP solution aims to provide support for GST Network integration, statutory reporting, payment processing, among others.
ii. The National Election Commission said Moon, of the Democratic Party, took 41.1 percent of the votes, far ahead of Conservative Hong Joon-Pyo, his closest rival on 24.03 percent.
Apple tops $800 bn market cap for first time
i. Apple Inc became the first US company to top the $800 billion mark in market capitalization slightly more than two years after it crossed the $700 billion thresholds.
ii. The iPhone maker’s shares have gained 33 percent this year and almost 50 per cent since the US election in November 2016 and the company now represents about 4 percent of the $21.7 trillion that makes up the entire S&P 500 index.
Jhulan Goswami becomes world’s highest wicket-taker in ODIs
ii. She now has 181 wickets in 153 matches at an average of 21.76 with two five-wicket and 4 four-wicket hauls. She won the ICC Women’s Cricketer of the Year award in 2007.
N’Golo Kante named Football Writers’ Footballer of the Year
i. N’Golo Kante has been voted Footballer of the Year by the Football Writers’ Association.
ii. Kante is the fifth player in six seasons to complete the awards double having last month been named Player of the Year by the Professional Footballers’ Association.
Important Takeaways from above GK Update for Exams are as follows-
- 2017 ICC Women’s World Cup will be hosted by England
- 2013 ICC Women’s World Cup won by Australia
- In 2010 and 2012, Jhulan Goswami was conferred with Arjuna Award and Padam Shri respectively.
- Moon Jae-In has replaced Park Geun-Hye
- Capital of South Koria is Seoul and its Currency is Won (KRW)
- The Supreme Court of India is the highest judicial forum and final court of appeal
- The Supreme Court of India came into existence on 26th January, 1950
- The First Chief Justice of Supreme Court was Harilal Jekisundas Kania.
- Union Home Minister of India is Rajnath Singh
- Rajnath Singh announced a new strategy against the Maoists—SAMADHAN.
- DIPAM is headed by Finance Minister of India Shri Arun Jaitley
- From 27th May, 2004, the Department of Disinvestment is one of the Departments under the Ministry of Finance
- The Department of Disinvestment was set up as a separate Department on 10th December, 1999 and was later renamed as Ministry of Disinvestment from 6th September, 2001
- The Department of Disinvestment has been renamed as Department of Investment and Public Asset Management (DIPAM) from 14th April, 2016.
- The GST is governed by GST Council and its Chairman is Union Finance Minister of India Arun Jaitley.
- GST is a destination-based tax on consumption of goods and services
- It is amalgamating a large number of Central and State taxes into a single tax
- Oracle headquarter is in the United States of America.
- World Migratory Bird Day is observed on 10th May
- The theme of WMBD 2017 is “Their Future is Our Future – A Healthy Planet for Migratory Birds and People”
- Yes Bank CEO and MD is Rana Kapoor
- Headquarter of Yes Bank in Mumbai
- The tagline of Yes Bank is ‘Experience our Expertise’.