By: D.K. Chaudhary
1. Human Rights Day- 10 December
i. Human Rights Day is observed every year on 10 December. The day the United Nations General Assembly adopted, in 1948, the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
ii. This year, Human Rights Day kicks off a year-long campaign to mark the upcoming 70th anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, a milestone document. The Campaign is named as #standup4humanrights.
- UN Secretary-General: Antonio Guterres, Headquarters- New York, USA.
2. New Delhi to Host Asean-India Connectivity Summit
i. According to the External Affairs Ministry, New Delhi will host the two-day long Asean-India Connectivity Summit (AICS) on the theme “Powering Digital and Physical Linkages for Asia in the 21st Century”.
ii. The event comes ahead of the visit of the leaders of the 10 member states of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean) for the commemorative summit of 25 years of the India-Asean dialogue partnership.
- The ASEAN comprises Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, and Vietnam.
3. Direct Tax Collections for Financial Year 2017-18 show Growth of 14.4% upto November, 2017
i. The provisional figures of Direct Tax collections up to November, 2017 show that net collections are at Rs. 4.8 lakh crore which is 14.4% higher than the net collections for the corresponding period of last year.
ii. The Net Direct Tax collections represent 49% of the total Budget Estimates of Direct Taxes for the Financial Year. 2017-18 (Rs. 9.8 lakh crore). Gross collections (before adjusting for refunds) have increased by 10.7% to Rs.5.82 lakh crore during April-November, 2017.
4. UN Women, Facebook Inaugurates ‘We The Women’ Event in Mumbai
i. UN Women in collaboration with Facebook inaugurated a two day event in Mumbai titled ‘We The Women’ to empower and recognise the magnificent contribution of women in our society.
ii. The event witnessed speakers from different walks of life including Textile and I&B Minister, Smriti Irani, Sakshi Malik, Mithali Raj, Ekta Kapoor, Karan Johar andothers.
5. Indonesia Open Aquatic: Indian Diving Team wins 6 Medals
i. Indian Diving Team won 1 Gold, 3 Silver and 2 Bronze Medals in Indonesia Open Aquatic Championship 2017. The five-day championship concluded recently in Indonesia’s Jakarta.
ii. More than 1,500 athletes from eight countries, participated in the 5 day event. At the championships, the diving category featured athletes from India, Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines, Thailand and Vietnam.
- Indonesia Capital- Jakarta, Currency– Indonesian Rupiah.