By: D.K Choudhary
SASEC’s Finance Ministers Meeting held in New Delhi
National conference on Communicating India to be organized
ii. Telling the India’s story to the world, Communicating via Journalism and Dialogue with Diaspora are three main themes which are outlined for the conference.
Jhargram becomes 22nd Bengal district
ii. Jhargram has been formed by bifurcating West Midnapore, which has a population of more than 11.37 lakh. Mamta Banerjee announced a budget of Rs 200 crore for the development of Jhargram.
Rs 40,000 crore expressway project in northeast announced
ii. The agreement was signed by the Assam government, the National Highways Authority of India and the Inland Waterways of India.
ii. The launch was made on the special occasion of Utkal Diwas which is the foundation day of Odisha.
iii. The launch was made in 12 cities of India. They were Varanasi, Vijayawada, Durgapur, Gorakhpur, Imphal, Bhopal, Ranchi, Madurai, Nagpur, Patna, Guwahati and Shillong.
ICICI, Axis Bank sell Rs 1800 crore Ballarpur loans to Edelweiss
ii. It is the first time that loans have been sold to an asset reconstruction firm. Axis Bank sold loans of Rs.1,200 crore and ICICI Bank sold loans of Rs.600 crore.
Geetha Johri- Gujarat’s first woman Police Chief
ii. She has replaced P P Pandey, who resigned recently. Johri is posted at the State Police Housing Corporation in Gandhinagar.
Amazon.in launches ‘Classroom’ for new sellers
ii. The program focusses on areas such as order processing, adding products and managing returns that are required to operate a successful online business.
Gionee India ties up with RCB for IPL 10
i. Handset maker Gionee India announced its association with the ‘Royal Challengers Bangalore’, as their presenting sponsors for the tenth edition of the Indian Premier League (IPL).
ii. Gionee is already the principal sponsor of the Kolkata Franchise — ‘Kolkata Knight Riders’. Gionee has become the first brand ever to sponsor front jerseys of two IPL teams in the same edition and will have its logo feature on the front jersey of both the teams.
iii. The smartphone manufacturer had signed Captain Virat Kohli as its brand ambassador in November 2016.
Berhampur Thakurani Yatra fetival begins in Odisha
i. The famous Berhampur Thakurani Yatra, one of the biggest festivals of southern Odisha, has been celebrated with pomp and gaiety.
ii. Nearly a month-long festival celebrates the journey of the deity Maa Budhi Thakurani.
WTO sets up panel to resolve steel dispute with India, Japan
i. The WTO’s dispute settlement set up a panel to resolve the dispute between Japan and India over imposition of safeguard import duty on iron and steel products.
ii. Japan in December 2016 dragged India to the WTO against certain measures taken by New Delhi on imports of iron and steel products.
iii. Japan, which is the second largest steel producer in the world, had alleged that duties imposed on steel imports by India violates WTO trade norms.
Indian Cricketer MS Dhoni named CEO of Gulf Oil for 1 day
i. The former Indian cricket team skipper MS Dhoni became an acting Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Gulf Oil India just for a day.
ii. He took charge of Gulf Oil India at the Mumbai head office. Mahendra Singh Dhoni was also named as the brand ambassador for Gulf Oil in the year 2011.
Important Takeaways from above GK Update are as follows-
- National conference on Communicating India will be organized in New Delhi
- Minister of State for Information and Broadcasting is Rajyavardhan Rathore
- Geetha Johri has been appointed as the first woman DGP of Gujarat
- She has replaced P P Pandey
- Governor of Gujarat is Mr. Om Prakash Kohli and its Chief Minister is Mr. Vijay Rupani
- Nitin Gadkari announces Rs 40,000 crore expressway project in northeast
- Nitin Gadkari is the Union Minister for Road Transport and Highways and Shipping
- Amazon.in launches ‘Classroom’, a virtual training program for new sellers
- Jeff Bezos is CEO of Amazon
- Amazon is USA based company
- SASEC’s Finance Ministers Meeting was held in New Delhi
- South Asia Subregional Economic Cooperation is the full form of SASEC
- Myanmar has joined the SASEC program as its seventh member
- ICICI, Axis Bank sell Rs 1800 crore Ballarpur loans to Edelweiss Asset Reconstruction Company
- ICICI bank headquarter is in Mumbai and CEO is Chanda Kochhar
- Axis Bank headquarter is in Mumbai and CEO is Shikha Sharma
- Ballarpur is a town and a municipal council in Chandrapur district in the state of Maharashtra, India
- Jhargram declared as the 22nd district of West Bengal
- CM of West Bengal is Mamta Banerjee
- Governor of West Bengal is Keshari Nath Tripathi
- Government officially launched the low emission Bharat stage (BS)-IV Grade fuel in Bhubaneswar, Odisha
- Minister of State (I/C) for Petroleum and Natural Gas is Dharmendra Pradhan.