By: D.K Choudhary
ii. Gujarat has the maximum of 12 cities among the top 50 clean cities, closely followed by Madhya Pradesh with 11 and Andhra Pradesh with eight. Uttar Pradesh accounted for half of the bottom 50 cities in the cleanliness ranking.
- Indore (MP)
- Bhopal (MP)
- Visakhapatnam (Andhra Pradesh)
- Surat (Gujarat)
- Mysuru (Karnataka)
- Tiruchirapally (Tamil Nadu)
- New Delhi Municipal Council (New Delhi)
- Navi Mumbai (Mumbai)
- Tirupati (Andhra Pradesh)
- Vadodara (Gujarat).
- Gonda (UP)- 434,
- Bhusawal (Maharashtra)- 433,
- Bagaha (Bihar)- 432,
- Hardoi (Uttarakhand)- 431,
- Katihar (Bihar)- 430.
India to get world’s highest railway bridge across Chenab river in J&K
ii. The massive arch-shaped structure, being constructed at a cost of around Rs. 1,100 crores, will rise 359 m above the river bed.
iii. The 1.315-km- long “engineering marvel” will connect Bakkal (Katra) and Kauri (Srinagar). The bridge forms a crucial link in the 111-km stretch between Katra and Banihal, which is part of the Udhampur-Srinagar-Baramulla rail link project.
Cabinet approved Vijayawada Airport as International Airport
ii. The decision has been taken as per the provisions of Andhra Pradesh Reorganization Act 2014. There will be cargo handling facilities at the airport, which will encourage agricultural exports which will be a boon to farmers.
Gadkari inaugurates The Highway Saga, SRISHTI exhibitions
ii. The exhibitions are part of the three-day India Integrated Transport and Logistics Summit (IITLS) being organized by the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways from 3rd to 5th of May, 2017.
iii. The Highway Saga is an exhibition depicting the evolution of road transport in India and the pavilion on road safety SRISHTI is a fun and interactive pavilion that seeks to enhance one’s awareness of road safety issues.
India expected to achieve 7.1% growth this year: UN report
ii. The UN Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP) launched its annual flagship report ‘The Economic and Social Survey of Asia and the Pacific 2017’. iii. The report said India’s growth would edge up to 7.5 percent for 2018.
Chhattisgarh auctions India’s most expensive limestone block
ii. Kesla-II block is situated in the Tilda Tehsil of Raipur district of Chhattisgarh and covers over 357 hectares of area with an average grade of 43% CaO.
iii. In terms of percent of IBM prices, this deal has broken the national record held by Rajasthan at 67.94 percent of IBM prices for its limestone block of Nagaur District.
AIIB grants $160 mn for Andhra Pradesh power project
ii. The AIIB, in which India is the second largest shareholder after China, has approved the project with the objective to strengthen the power transmission and distribution system in Andhra Pradesh.
Braj Bihari Kumar appointed as the chairman of ICSSR
ii. He has succeeded famous economist S K Thorat.
iii. The HRD Ministry took the decision finalizing his name for the top post for a period of three years.
Important Takeaways from above GK Update for Exams are as follows-
- The ‘Swachh Survekshan 2017’ was announced by Urban Development Minister M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indore in Madhya Pradesh is India’s cleanest city
- Gonda in Uttar Pradesh is the dirtiest city
- Gujarat has the maximum of 12 cities among the top 50 clean cities
- India to get world’s highest railway bridge across Chenab river in J&K in 2 years
- It is expected to be 35 meters taller than Paris’ Eiffel Tower
- The length of the bridge is 1.315-km
- It will connect Bakkal (Katra) and Kauri (Srinagar)
- Vijayawada Airport now becomes an International Airport
- The decision has been taken as per the provisions of Andhra Pradesh Reorganization Act 2014
- Chandrababu Naidu is the CM of AP and its governor is E. S. L. Narasimhan.
- Nitin Gadkari has inaugurated two exhibitions namely ‘The Highway Saga: Past Present and Future’ and ‘SRISHTI’
- Safe Road and Inter-State Highways Transforming India is the full form of SRISHTI
- Minister of Road Transport and Highways is Mr. Nitin Gadkari.
- As per UN report, India expected to achieve 7.1% growth this year
- India’s growth would edge up to 7.5 percent for 2018
- Antonio Guterres is the chief of United Nations
- Headquarter of UN is in New York, United States
- Chhattisgarh auctions India’s most expensive limestone block
- The bid received 96.15% of IBM (Indian Bureau of Mines) prices
- The previous national record was held by Rajasthan at 67.94 percent of IBM prices for its limestone block of Nagaur District
- Shri Piyush Goyal is the Minister of State with Independent Charge for Power, Coal, New & Renewable Energy and Mines.
- AIIB has approved $160 mn for Andhra Pradesh power project
- This is the first credit from this bank for an Indian project
- Mr. Jin Liqun is the President of AIIB
- Head Office of AIIB is in Beijing, China.
- Braj Bihari Kumar has been appointed as the chairman of ICSSR
- Indian Council of Social Science Research is the full form of ICSSR
- He has been appointed for the period of 3 years
- ICSSR was established in 1969 to promote research in social sciences in the country.