G.K Update 7,June 2016 (English
By: D.K Choudhary
1. V Narayanasamy sworn in as Puducherry CM
Congress Legislature Party leader V Narayanasamy (69-year) sworn in as Chief Ministerof the Union Territory of Puducherry.
- Lt. Governor Kiran Bedi administered the oath of office and secrecy at a function held at the historic Gandhi Thidal in Beach Road.
- Five Congress legislators A Namassivayam, Shah Jahan, M Kandasamy, R Kamalkannanand Malladi Krishna Rao were also sworn in as ministers.
- The Congress which has 15 MLAs in the 30-member House has formed the Ministry with the support of the two DMK MLAs.
- Narayanasamy represented Puducherry in Rajya Sabha for three terms.
- He was elected to Lok Sabha in 2009 and served as Minister of State in Prime Minister’s Office in UPA II.
- He is not a member of the house hence need to face polls in 6 months.
Q:-Who has sworn in as Union Territory Puducherry CM?- V Narayanasamy
2. Gadkari launches Setu Bhartam project in Himachal Pradesh
- Union Minister for Road Transport, Surface and shipping Nitin Gadkari has launchedSetu Bhartam project from Palampur town in the Kangra District in Himachal Pradesh .
- Union Health and Family Welfare Minister Jagat Prakash Nadda, BJP MP Shanta Kumar and Opposition Leader Prem Kumar Dhumal were also present on the occasion.
- Under the programme five Over Bridge ORB would be constructed on railway crossingin Shimla amd Kangra districts with sum of five hundred crore rupees.
- Nitin Gadkari dedicated newly constructed Bathu Bridge on Dehra-Kangra National Highway.
- The 50,800-crore Setu Bharatam project aimed at making all national highways freefrom railway level crossings by the year 2019.
Q:- Who is the Union Health Minister of India?- Jagat Prakash Nadda
3. Suresh Prabhu Launches Tiger Express
- Minister of Railways Suresh Prabhakar Prabhu has flagged off the inaugural run of the Tiger Trail Circuit Train from Delhi Safdarjung Station.
- The launch of this Tiger Express on World Environment Day (June 5) is to highlight the significance of environment in our lives.
- The most important objective of the train is to create and spread awareness about the wildlife in general and the tiger in particular.
- This tourist train will be operated by Indian Railway Catering and Tour Corporation (IRCTC).
- This is for the first time that Indian Railways have forayed into the exciting and fascinating wildlife tourism.
- The objective behind it is to facilitate frequent interactions among traveller during the travel.
- The train with 5 days/6 nights itinerary will start from Delhi Sufdarjung railway station.
- The semi-luxury train will take the guests on board to the world famous Bandhavgarhand Kanha National Parks in Madhya Pradesh.
Q:- Who is the Union Railway minister?- Suresh Prabhakar Prabhu
4. Veteran actress Sulabha Deshpande passed away
- Eminent actress and theater personality Sulabha Deshpande (79 year) passed away in Mumbai.
- She was considered to be one of the pioneers of the experimental theater movement that swept Mumbai in the 1970s.
- She started her career as a teacher at Chhabildas Boy’s High School in Dadar, Mumbai.
- She was acted in over 73 movies, mainstream Bollywood as well as art house cinemalike Bhumika, Arvind and Gaman etc, and had also featured in several Marathi and TV serials.
Q:- Name of the veteran actress who passed away recently?- Sulabha Deshpande
5. India’s first Mr. Universe Manohar Aich passes away
- He was once a household name in Bengal after becoming India’s first Mr. Universe in 1952.
- Aich was not the tallest of man (four feet and 11 inches,) but took up bodybuilding and made this his passion during his stint at the Royal Air Force under British colonial rulers.
- Aich is survived by two daughters and two sons, one of whom manages a gym and fitness centre to fulfill his father’s dream of making the youth “healthy and strong“.
6. Judoka Avtar Singh Qualifies For Rio Olympics
- South Asian Games gold medalist Indian judoka Avtar Singh has qualified for the 2016 Rio Olympic Games scheduled to be held in August 2016 in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- He has qualified under 90kg weight category under the continental quota.
- His current world Ranking is 79 with 182 points.
- He had won a gold in South Asian Games held in Shillong in February 2o16.
- He also had won a bronze medal in Asian Junior Judo Championships in 2011.
- He also had won two gold medals in Senior National Judo Championships in 2013-14 and 2014-15.
- In the Asian Judo Championships in April 2016 in Uzbekistan, Avtar finished fifth after beating judokas from China and Iran.
Q:-Name the judo player, Who has qualified for the Rio Olympic Games in under 90kg weight category?- Avtar Singh
7. PM Narendra Modi conferred Afghanistan’s highest civilian honour
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi was conferred with Amir Amanullah Khan Award, the highest civilian honour of Afghanistan.
- The award was bestowed upon him at the inaugural function of the Afghan-India Friendship Dam (Salma Dam) by Afghan President Ashraf Ghani.
- The award is named after Afghan national hero Amanullah Khan who championed the cause of Afghanistan’s freedom.
8. Two Indian origin women feature in Forbes ‘Richest Self-Made women’ list
- Two Indian-origin women have featured on the Forbes’ annual list of America’s 60 wealthiest and most successful self-made women entrepreneurs.
- The list released by financial and business magazine Forbes includes 60 achievers as measured by their net worth.
- Neerja Sethi was born in India and co-founded IT consulting and outsourcing firmSyntel with her husband Bharat Desai, got the 16th rank on this list.
- While Jayshree Ullal, president and CEO of Arista Networks grabbed the 30th rank.
- The list is topped by Diane Hendricks, the owner of ABC Supply, America’s largest wholesale distributor of roofing and siding, with a net worth of $4.9 billion.
- Last year, with a net worth of $1.2 billion, Hendricks had got the second spot on the list.
9. Garbine Muguruza won 2016 French Open Women’s Singles Tennis Title
- Garbine Muguruza(22-year) of Spain has won the French Open Women’s Singles tennis title at the Roland Garros stadium in Paris, France.
- This was her first Grand Slam title.
- She has become the first Spanish woman to win a Grand Slam title since Sanchez-Vicario in Paris in 1998.
- She defeated the defending champion Serena Williams of the USA in straight sets 7-5, 6-4 in the final match.
Q:- Who has won the French Open Women’s Singles tennis title 2016?- Garbine Muguruza.
10. Novak Djokovic beats Andy Murray to claim 1st French Open title
- World number one Novak Djokovic beat Britain’s Andy Murray 3-6, 6-1, 6-2, 6-4 to win his first French Open title and complete the career Grand Slam.
- Djokovic won his 12th major title and became the first man since Rod Laver in 1969 to hold all four Grand Slams at once.
- Second seed Murray played superbly to win the first set but could not convert a break point early in the second, and Djokovic took control to win in three hours.
- He becomes only the eighth man in history to have won all four of the sport’s major singles prizes – and could yet match Laver’s achievement of winning all four in a calendar year.
- The French Open is a major tennis tournament held over two weeks between late Mayand early June at the Stade Roland Garros in Paris, France.
- Named after the French aviator Roland Garros, it is the premier clay-court tennis championship event in the world and the second of four annual Grand Slam tournaments,the other three being the Australian Open, Wimbledon and the US Open.
Roland Garros is the only Grand Slam event held on clay and ends the clay-court season.