G.K Update 5 JUNE 2016(English)
By: D.K. Dhoudhary
BSE GETS RBI NOD TO START ONLINE BIDDING PLATFORM FOR SGBS
- BSE has received the RBI approval to start an online bidding platform for Sovereign Gold Bond scheme.
- The exchange plans to offer an online bidding platform for collecting bids from members and their clients for the SGB issue.
- SGBs government securities denominated in grams of gold — offer an alternative to holding gold in physical form.
- The bond is issued by RBI on behalf of government and investors can apply for the bonds.
INDIA AND US INK MOU TO BOOST ENERGY SECURITY ANDCLEAN ENERGY COOPERATION
- India and United States have signed an MoU to enhance cooperation on energy security, clean energy and climate change in New Delhi.
- The aim of the agreement is to promote sustainable growth.
- iii. US and India inked Mou in areas relating to Energy smart Cities Partnership and promoting Energy Access through Clean Energyexpansion.
DR. R SEETHARAMAN CONFERRED WITH 2016 GREEN ECONOMY VISIONARY AWARD
- A Qatar-based Indian banker Dr. R Seetharaman has been honoured with the 2016 ‘Green Economy Visionary award’.
- He has been honoured with this award for his contribution in environment-friendly activities and thereby promoting green economy for nearly two decades.
ARGENTINA RETAIN TOP SPOT IN FIFA RANKINGS
- Argentina again reained the top spot in latest Fifa rankings.
- Argentina was followed by Belgium then by Colombia.
- iii. World champions Germany are fourth in the table with European Championship holders Spain now sixth.
- India have fallen down one spot to 163 from 162.
BRICS BANK TO ISSUE FIRST YUAN DENOMINATED BONDS
- The BRICS Development Bank, also known as the New DevelopmentBank is set to issue its first yuan-denominated bonds which is also known as ‘green bands’.
- It was founded by the BRICS members and headed by eminent Indian banker M V Kamath.
- iii. The bank is planning to finance development projects in the emerging markets and development countries.
- BRICS is supporting because China is facing economic slowdown in economy.
TWO INDIAN-ORIGIN WOMEN IN FORBES’ SELF-MADEAMERICAN WOMEN LIST
- Two Indian-origin women have featured on the Forbes’ annual list of America’s 60 wealthiest and most successful self-made women entrepreneurs.
- India-born Neerja Sethi, founder of IT consulting and outsourcing firm Syntel is ranked 16th and CEO of Arista Networks Jayshree Ullal is ranked 30th.
- iii. The richest self-made woman in America is Diane Hendricks, the owner of ABC Supply, the largest wholesale distributor of roofing and siding in the country.
NOVAK DJOKOVIC BECOMES THE FIRST PLAYER TO WIN A $100M PRIZE MONEY
- World number one Tennis Player Novak Djokovic has become the first professional tennis player to earn more than $100 million in prize money.
- In women’s Serena Williams is on top who earned a total prize money of $75,929,696.