G.K. Update 5 July 2016
1st meeting of BRICS working group on energy saving begins in Visakhapatnam:
The first meeting of the BRICS working Group on Energy saving and energy efficiency began in Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh.
- The two day conference will be attended by all 5 member BRICS (Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa) countries.
- India being BRICS chair for 2016 has organised this event in order to shape and steer the BRICS agenda. The Union Power Ministry is hosting the meeting of the Working Group.
Current G.K. Complete Year 2016 Capsule
Second BRICS Youth Summit concludes in Guwahati:
The second BRICS Youth Summit was held in Guwahati, Assam from 1st July 2016 to 3rd July 2016. The theme of the summit was “Youth as bridge for intra-BRICS exchanges“.
- The summit was inaugurated by Assam Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal in presence of Union Sports Minister Jitendra Singh.
SBI secures %625 million from World Bank for solar program:
State Bank of India has inked agreements with the World Bank for a USD 625 million (around Rs 4,200 crore) facility to support grid connected rooftop solar programme in the country.
Lewis Hamilton wins 2016 Austrian Grand Prix:
Lewis Hamilton won the 2016 Austrian Grand Prix at the Red Bull Ring in Spielberg, Austria.
- He won the race by finishing in One hour 27 minutes 38.107 seconds, while Max Verstappen of Red Bull finished second, while Ferrari’s Kimi Rekonen finished third.
- Nico Hulkenberg of Force India failed to take advantage of the beginning of the season, and stood 19th place. Hulkenberg’s team-mate Sergio Perez finished 17th.
Michael Cimino, director of film The Deer Hunter, died:
Michael Cimino, the director of the Vietnam War classic The Deer Hunter, died on 2nd July 2016 at his Los Angles home.
- Cimino was best known for directing, producing and co-writing the 1978 Academy Award-winning film The Deer Hunter. The film won five Oscars, including Best Director and Best Picture for Cimino.
Holocaust survivor and Nobel Peace Prize winner Elie Wiesel dies:
Elie Wiesel, a Holocaust survivor and Nobel Laureate passed away on 2 July 2016 in New York, U.S. He was 87.
- In his first book, Night, Wiesel gave an account of his family being sent to the Nazi concentration camps. Elie Wiesel was a Romanian-born American Jewish writer, professor and political activist. He wrote mostly in French and English.
JPMorgan Chase & Co. will open three branches in India:
JPMorgan Chase & Co. is opening three branches in India, expanding in the world’s second-most populous nation even as global competitors pull back.
- The Reserve Bank of India granted approval for the biggest US bank to open the outlets in New Delhi and in smaller towns located near Bengaluru and Chennai.
GAIL will invest Rs 20000 crore in South India:
GAIL (India) Ltd, the country’s largest gas transmission and marketing company, will invest around Rs.20000 crore over the next five-six years to build a gas pipeline network in south India.