i. Prime Minister Narendra Modi left for Davos, Switzerland to attend the 48th annual meeting of the World Economic Forum. He will lead the largest-ever Indian delegation comprising Finance Minister Arun Jaitley, Commerce and Industry Minister Suresh Prabhu among others.
ii. The theme of the WEF Annual Meeting this year is ‘Creating a shared future in a fractured world’. WEF 2018 will also see the largest ever proportion of women leaders including all co-chairs being women this time.
- The founder and Chairman of WEF- Klaus Schwab.
2. MEITY Launches Cyber Surakshit Bharat to Strengthen Cybersecurity
i. The Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY), announced the ‘Cyber Surakshit Bharat’ initiative in association with National e-Governance Division (NeGD) and industry partners.
ii. Cyber Surakshit Bharat will be operated on the three principles of Awareness, Education and Enablement. Cyber Surakshit Bharat is the first public-private partnership of its kind and will leverage the expertise of the IT industry in cybersecurity.
- Ravi Shankar Prasad is the present Union Minister of Electronics and Information Technology.
3. Sushma Swaraj Inaugurates Puducherry’s 1st POPSK at Karaikal
i. The first Post Office Passport Seva Kendra (POPSK) of Puducherry was inaugurated by Smt. Sushma Swaraj, Minister for External Affairs at Karaikal.
ii. The POPSK at Karaikal is the 60th POPSK to have become functional since the launch of the scheme in January 2017. It is the first POPSK to become operational in the UT of Puducherry.
- Puducherry CM- V. Narayanasamy, Governor- Kiran Bedi.
4. Telangana, Tokyo Body Sign MoU for Municipal Waste Incineration
i. The Telangana government had signed a Memorandum of Understanding with the Clean Authority of Tokyo in connection with municipal solid waste incineration in Hyderabad.
ii. The two bodies exchanged knowledge in municipal solid waste incineration facilities and make an effort to realize human resource exchanges in view of technical cooperation in the future.
- Telangana CM- K Chandrasekhar Rao, Governor- ESL Narasimhan.
- Tokyo is the capital city of Japan.
5. India’s 1st Garbage Festival Organised in Chhattisgarh
i. The Raipur Municipal Corporation in Chhattisgarh organised the three-day ‘Kachra Mahotsav 2018′. It is India’s first Garbage Festival.
ii. The festival aimed to increase awareness, use the waste generated in the city creatively, and to showcase multiple techniques for reusing things that are labelled as garbage.
- Chhattisgarh CM- Raman Singh, Governor- Balramji Dass Tandon.