i. India has joined the Australia Group export control regime and has become the 43rd Member of that Group. It is an informal forum which seeks to ensure that exports do not contribute to the development of chemical or biological weapons.
ii. India has managed entry into Missile Technology Control Regime (MTCR), the Wassenaar Arrangement and Australia Group despite not being a signatory to the Non-Proliferation Treaty.
- Australian High Commissioner to India- Harinder Kaur Sidhu.
2. Government Announces List of 9 New Smart Cities
i. Union Housing and Urban Affairs Minister Hardeep Singh Puri announced the list of nine new Smart Cities, which have emerged winners in Round 4.
ii. These nine cities are, Silvassa in Dadra and Nagar Haveli, Erode in Tamil Nadu, Diu in Daman and Diu, Bihar Sharif in Bihar, Bareilly in Uttar Pradesh, Itanagar in Arunachal Pradesh, Moradabad in Uttar Pradesh, Saharanpur in Uttar Pradesh and Kavaratti in Lakshadweep.
3. INS Vikramaditya Formally Affiliated to Bihar Regiment
i. Indian Naval Ship Vikramaditya, the Indian Navy’s largest ship and its sole aircraft carrier was formally affiliated to the Indian Army’s highly-decorated and battle-hardened Bihar Regiment and the Indian Air Force’s No 6 Squadron.
ii. The ceremony was held onboard INS Vikramaditya at the Karwar Naval Base, Karnataka.
- Admiral Sunil Lanba is the present Chief of Naval Staff.
4. NDRF Celebrated its 13th Raising Day
i. The National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) celebrated its 13th Raising Day in New Delhi. The Director Intelligence Bureau, Rajiv Jain was the chief guest on this occasion.
ii. The meeting highlighted the disaster threat of country and important changes taken place in Disaster Management in India and across the world.
- Sanjay Kumar is the Director General of NDRF.
- NDRF came into existence on 19th January 2006.
5. Arun Jaitley Launches National CSR Data Portal & Corporate Data Portal
i. The Union Minister for Finance and Corporate Affairs, Arun Jaitley launched the National CSR Data Portal & Corporate Data Portal in Delhi. This initiative is a significant step towards driving accountability and transparency for corporate India.
ii. The portals’ easy accessibility to the general public will ensure a high level of compliance and will also help in institutionalising and consolidating the CSR activities.
- R. K. Shanmukham Chetty was the first Finance Minister of independent India.