G.K. Update 2, June 2016
By: D.K. Choudhary
MADHAVAN BECOMES GOODWILL AMBASSADOR FOR LEPRA INDIA
- Bollywood Actor R Madhavan has become the goodwill ambassador of LEPRA India organization that fight against diseases like leprosy and tuberculosis.
- LEPRA India is a non-government organisation working in the fields of leprosy, malaria,tuberculosis, HIV or AIDS and community health.
- iii. LEPRA Society works with the Central & State Government in various disease control programme.
CEAT CRICKET AWARDS 2016 ANNOUNCED
CEAT Cricket Awards 2016 were conferred on the players in Mumbai.
Some of the recipients of awards:
- Former India captain Dilip Vengsarkar was conferred with the Lifetime Achievement Award.
- England batsman Joe Root was named as the CEAT International Cricketer of the Year
- India’s test captain Virat Kohli was named CEAT T20 Player of the Year.
- International Batsman of the Year – Joe Root
- International Bowler of the Year – Ravichandran Ashwin
- ODI Cricketer of the Year – Martin Guptill
- T20 Player of the Year – Virat Kohli
- Indian Cricketer of the Year – Rohit Sharma
- Test Cricketer of the Year – Kane Williamson
AR RAHMAN CONFERRED WITH JAPAN’S FUKUOKA PRIZE 2016
- Indian music composer AR Rahman was honored with the Japan’s Fukuoka prize 2016.
- The award is given for his outstanding contribution towards creating, preserving and showcasing South Asian traditional fusion music.
- iii. In 2015 noted Indian Historian Ramchandra Guha was conferred with Fukuoka Prize in academic category.
WORLD NO TOBACCO DAY 2016 OBSERVED ON 31ST MAY
- 31 May is observed as World No Tobacco Day
- The World Health Organisation called countries to get ready for plainpackaging of tobacco products.
ADMIRAL SUNIL LANBA TAKES CHARGE AS 21ST NAVY CHIEF
- Admiral Sunil Lanba appointed as new navy chief.
- He will replace Admiral RK Dhowan.
- iii. Earleir he was the Commander-in-Chief of the Southern Naval Command at Kochi.
GURPREET SINGH SANDHU BECOMES FIRST INDIAN TO PLAY IN TIPPELIGAEN
- National football team goalkeeper Gurpreet Singh Sandhu became the first Indian to play top-tier European football league match.
- He played for Norwegian side Stabaek FC in Norwegian Premier League (Tippeligaen) .
- iii. He played his first Tippeligaen (Norwegian Premier League) for Stabaek FC.
- Tippeligaen is a Norwegian professional league for associationfootball clubs.
ALASTAIR COOK BECOMES YOUNGEST CRICKETER TO SCORE 10000 TEST RUNS
- England cricket captain Alastair Cook became youngest Cricketer to score 10000 test runs.
- He made the record on the fourth day of the second test against Sri Lanka.
- iii. The previous record was held by Indian legend Sachin Tendulkarwho reached the landmark score against Pakistan at Eden Gardens in 2005.