G.K. Update 16,April 2016
By: D.K. Choudhary
- UNION GOVERNMENT IMPOSES ANTI-DUMPING DUTY ON N-BUTYL ALCOHOL
- The Union Government has imposed an anti-dumping duty on importsof N-Butyl Alcohol from five countries.
- The duty is imposed on European Union, Malaysia, Singapore and US.
iii.Normal Butanol, or N-Butyl Alcohol exported from five countries mentioned above was found to be below normal value compared to domestic value.
- INDIA AND SOUTH KOREA INK MOU FOR COOPERATIONAND MUTUAL ASSISTANCE IN DEVELOPMENT OF PORTS
- India and South Korea have signed a Memorandum of Understanding for cooperation and mutual assistance in development of ports.
- The MoU will help both countries to boost maritime relationship as well as encourage and facilitate the development of ports, port related industry.
iii. It will encourage cooperation in sharing of technology, experiences in the fields of port operation and development
- MASTERCARD CEO AJAY BANGA APPOINTED AS MEMBER OF US CYBERSECURITY BODY
- US President Barack Obama has nominated MasterCard’s Indian-American CEO Ajay Banga as a member of the Commission on Enhancing National Cybersecurity.
- The commission was established in February 2016 to make detailed recommendations to strengthen cybersecurity in both the public and private sectors while protecting privacy, ensuring public safety and economic and national security
- PM NARENDRA MODI LAUNCHES NATIONAL AGRICULTURE MARKET PORTAL ENAM
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched National Agriculture Market portal eNAM to connect e-mandis in several States.
- ENam is an online inter-connectivity of e-mandis, aimed at agriculture marketing reforms to enable farmers to get better price of their produce.
iii. E-National Agriculture Market is a pan-India e-trading platform.
- Farmers can showcase their produce online from their nearest market and traders can quote price from anywhere.
- PM NARENDRA MODI INAUGURATES MARITIME INDIA SUMMIT 2016
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the Maritime India Summit 2016 in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
ii.This is India’s first ever Maritime Summit and the flagship event organised by Union Ministry of Shipping.
iii. South Korea is the partner country for the summit and will be represented by a high level ministerial and business delegation.
- The main focus of summit is to give impetus to Make In India and blue economy under the Union Government’s ambitious Sagarmala Project for ports development.
- PM NARENDRA MODI LAUNCHES GRAM UDAY SE BHARAT UDAY ABHIYAN
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched ‘Gram Uday Se Bharat Uday Abhiyan’ also known as Village Self Governance Campaign.
- The campaign is launched to strengthen Panchayati Raj in villages and ensure social harmony in villages.
iii. It was launched on the occasion of 125th birth anniversary of Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar at his birthplace at Mhow in Madhya Pradesh.
- Panchayati Raj Day is observed on 24th April.
- INDIA WORLD’S LARGEST REMITTANCE RECIPIENT IN 2015 A REPORT BY WORLD BANK
- According to the report released by World Bank India remained the world’s largest remittance recipient in 2015.
- It was revealed in the World Bank’s annual report Migration and Development.
iii.India attracted about 69 billion US dollars in remittances followed by china, phillippines, mexico , and Nigeria .
- AKASH MISSILE SYSTEM SUCCESSFULLY TEST FIRED
- Indigenously developed surface-to-air supersonic Akash missile System was successfully test fired from Chandipuri in Odisha.
- Akash Missile is a mid-range surface-to-air missile.
iii. It is medium range nuclear capable supersonic missile developed by Defence Research and Development Organisation.