By: D.K Chaudhary
1. Shabnam Asthana Wins Times Power Woman 2017 Award
i. Shabnam Asthana was awarded the ‘Times Power Women of the Year 2017’- Pune for Global PR. The Times Group celebrated the invaluable contribution of women by introducing The Times Power Woman 2017 (Pune) awards.
ii. The award was conferred on her by Dilip Kamble, Minister of State for Social Justice and Special Assistance in the Government of Maharashtra.
2. Shyam Benegal Awarded V Shantaram Lifetime Achievement Award
i. Mumbai International Film Festival (MIFF) committee has decided to bestow V. Shantaram lifetime achievement Award to veteran film producer and director Shyam Benegal. The award will be presented at concluding ceremony of MIFF in Mumbai.
ii. He will be awarded a trophy, cash price of 10 lakh rupees, a certificate and a shawl by Governor of Maharashtra C. Vidyasagar Rao.
3. India Lifts U-19 World Cup 2018
i. India has defeated Australia to lift the Under 19 World cup for the fourth time. The Men in Blue defeated the three-time champions Australia at Bay Oval, New Zealand.
ii. The Australian team had set the target of 217 runs and was chased down easily by India. Manjot Kalra was the Hero of the match with his brilliant century.
- Manjot Kalra was declared Man of the Match.
- Shubman Gill was declared Player of the Tournament.
- Anukul Roy finished the 2018 edition with joint-highest 14 wickets.
- India was the earlier winner in 2000, 2008 and 2012.
4. Saurav Ghosal Becomes the Highest-Ranked Indian Squash Player
i. India’s leading squash player, Saurav Ghosal
jumped five places to No. 14
to become the highest ranked Indian in the latest Professional Squash Association (PSA) rankings
Ghosal beat Joshna Chinappa
who slipped three places to No. 17 while Dipika Pallikal Karthik
remained on 20. Former Indian national champion Harinder Pal Sandhu was placed at 49th.
- Gregory Gaultier from France is currently at No. 1 Position in the Professional Squash Association (PSA) rankings.