By: D.K Chaudhary
1. World TB Day- Health Ministry Launches New Initiatives
i. At the function in New Delhi, the Health Secretary Smt. Preeti Sudan, released the TB INDIA 2018 Report and National Drug Resistance Survey Report.
ii. She also launched the ‘NikshayAushadi Portal’ and shorter regimen for Drug Resistant TB. She further stated that the global target to end TB is 2030 but India will end it by 2025.
- J P Nadda is the present Health and family welfare minister of India.
2. Martin Vizcarra Sworn In As Peru’s New President
i. Martin Vizcarra has been sworn in as the country’s new president of Peru. Before the appointment, he was Peru’s first vice president and ambassador to Canada.
ii. He has replaced Pedro Pablo Kuczynski who has resigned from the post recently.
- Peru Capital- Lima, Currency- Sol.
3. G.K. Reddy award for journalist Karan Thapar
i. Former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh presented the G.K. Reddy Memorial National Award for journalism to senior journalist and television presenter Karan Thapar.
4. HDFC Bank Signs MoU with Government e-Marketplace
i. Private sector lender HDFC Bank signed an agreement with the Government e-Marketplace (GeM) under which the bank will facilitate a host of services to the public procurement portal for Central and state government organisations.
ii. The MoU is significant as Government e-marketplace will bring transparency and efficiency in the procurement process with assured and timely payment to the sellers.
- HDFC Bank– India’s largest private bank by market capitalization
- HDFC Bank Chairman– Aditya Puri.
- Reserve Bank of India labelled HDFC Bank as ‘domestic systematically important bank’—in other words, ‘too big to fail’.
5. ISSF Junior World Cup: Manu Bhaker Wins Gold
i. Shooter Manu Bhaker secured India’s second individual gold after prevailing over Thailand’s Kanyakorn Hirunphoem in a thrilling final of the women’s 10m air pistol event at the ISSF Junior World Cup in Sydney, Australia.
ii. The 16-year-old Manu shot 235.9 to finish top of the podium. India tasted success in the 10m Air Pistol men’s event too with Gaurav Rana winning a silver medal while Anmol Jain bagged the bronze.