1. Nirmala Sitharaman in Russia to attend Moscow Conference
i. Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman is in Russia to attend the 7th Moscow Conference on International Security. This is her first visit to Russia in her capacity as the Defence Minister.
ii. During her three-day tour, she will meet her Russian counterpart Army General Sergei Shoigu and other senior leaders.
- Russia Capital– Moscow, Currency- Russian ruble, President- Vladimir Putin.
2. West Bengal Introduces ‘Rupashree Scheme’ for Marriage of Poor Girls
i. The state government of West Bengal introduced a new scheme called ‘Rupashree’ in order to provide marriage assistance to girls coming from economically weaker families with a budgetary allocation of Rs 1500 crore.
ii. The scheme proposes to extend one-time financial assistance worth Rs 25,000 to the family of the girl whose annual income is up to Rs 1.5 lakh.
- West Bengal CM- Mamata Banerjee, Governor- Keshri Nath Tripathi.
3. World-Class Tourist Amenities Unveiled at Konark Sun Temple
i. A world-class interpretation centre and other tourist facilities for visitors were inaugurated at the Konark Sun Temple, Odisha.
ii. It coincided with Utkal Diwas, Odisha’s foundation day. The facilities were inaugurated by the Union Petroleum Minister Dharmendra Pradhan.
- Konark Sun Temple is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- It was built in the 13th century.
4. E-Way Bill for Inter-State Movement of Goods Comes into Force
i. With the beginning of the financial year 2018-19, the e-way Bill System for Inter-State movement of goods comes into force.
ii. Under this system businesses and transporters have to produce before a GST inspector e-way bill for moving goods worth over Rs 50,000 from one state to another.
5. India Ranks 37th in Global Startup Ecosystem: Startupblink Report
i. According to report released by global startup ecosystem map Startupblink, India was ranked 37th out of 125 countries in global startup ecosystem in 2017. Startupblink is a global startup ecosystem map with tens of thousands of registered startups, coworking spaces, and accelerators.
ii. The list, measuring startup ecosystem strength and activity, was topped by the United States followed by the United Kingdom.