By: D.K Chaudhary
1. India gets first US LNG shipment at Dabhol, Maharashtra
i. India received its first LNG cargo from the US under a long-term supply deal when a ship carrying super-cooled natural gas arrived at Dabhol in Maharashtra.
ii. GAIL India has contracted 3.5 million tonnes per annum of liquefied natural gas (LNG) from US energy firm Cheniere Energy’s Sabine Pass liquefaction facility in Louisiana. The first cargo from the project arrived at Dabhol, the cite of India’s biggest gas-fired power plant.
2. Meeting of PIC Between India and Pakistan Held in New Delhi
i. The two-day meeting of Permanent Indus Commission (PIC) between India and Pakistan began in New Delhi. Representatives from both the sides had discussed Water Treaty dispute and resolution of outstanding issues.
ii. The PIC is mandated to establish and maintain cooperative arrangements for the implementation of the treaty and to promote cooperation between the two sides in developing the Indus water systems.
- PK Saxena- India’s Indus Water Commissioner.
- The Indus Waters Treaty was signed in 1960 and involves six rivers – the Beas, Ravi, Sutlej, Indus, Chenab and Jhelum.
- The PIC had last met in March 2017 in Islamabad, Pakistan.
3. NHAI Awarded Projects Worth Rs 1.22 lakh crore in FY18
i. National Highway Authority of India (NHAI) awarded 150 road projects of 7,400 km worth Rs. 1,22,000 crore in the In Financial Year 2017-18. In last 5 years, the average length of road projects awarded by NHAI was 2,860 km with 4,335 Km awarded in the last financial year.
ii. In comparison, the length of projects awarded in FY 2017-18 is an all-time high and a record achievement by NHAI since its inception in 1995.
- Nitin Gadkari is the present Minister for Road Transport & Highways, Shipping and Water Resources.
4. Madhya Pradesh’s Kadaknath chicken gets Geographical Indication tag
i. Six years after it applied for the Geographical Indications (GI) tag for Kadaknath, a chicken breed whose black meat is in demand in some quarters, Madhya Pradesh has got the coveted label.
ii. Chennai-based GI Registry accepted the application of Gramin Vikas Trust, Jhabua, which was filed in 2012.
5. Rivigo ties up with IDFC, YES Bank, for truck loans
i. Rivigo, a homegrown logistics start-up that owns as well as acts as an aggregator of trucks, is tying up with YES Bank, IDFC, and 10 other financial institutions to make cheaper funds available to truck owners and operators on its platform.
ii. The funds will be available at an interest rate of 1-2 percent per month, lower than the usual industry standard of 2-3 percent.