By: D.K Chaudhary
1. West Bengal CM Unveils Official Emblem of West Bengal Government
i. West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee unveiled the official emblem of the state government, which was recently approved by the centre.
ii. The logo highlights the Ashoka emblem on the top with the theme of “Biswa Bangla” at the centre. Ms Banerjee has also contributed to the design of the emblem.
- Keshri Nath Tripathi is the present Governor of West Bengal.
2. World Book Fair Begins in Delhi
i. The World Book Fair started in New Delhi. Environment issues like climate change, global warming, and water pollution will be the main theme for this year’s Fair.
ii. The annual book fair will see around 800 publishers from across the country in different languages.
3. Defence Ministry Clears Arms Procurement Contracts worth Rs2,420 crore for Navy and Army
i. Defence Ministry has cleared contracts worth 2,420 crore rupees for Navy and Army which includes the procurement of P-8I Training Solution and Low-Intensity Conflict Electronic Warfare System (LICEWS).
ii. The training solution accurately simulates P-8I aircraft and mission systems. It will help Indian Navy train and realistically rehearse for sophisticated missions involving P-8I aircraft. The procurement of LICEWS will be done from Bharat Electronics Limited for 470 crore rupees.
- Bipin Rawat is the present chief of Army staff.
- Sunil Lanba is the present chief of Naval staff.
4. Sushma Swaraj 3 Nation Visit: Co-Chairs Meeting of India-Indonesia Joint Commission
i. External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj who is visiting Indonesia as part of her three-nation tour, co-chaired the fifth meeting of the India-Indonesia Joint Commission with her Indonesian counterpart Retno Marsudi.
ii. Both the countries agreed to work together for a balanced and sustainable trade by providing greater market access, both in goods and services.
- Indonesia Capital- Jakarta, Currency- Indonesian rupiah, President- Joko Widodo.
5. Himalayan Hydro Expo 2018 Kicked off at Kathmandu
i. The Himalayan Hydro Expo 2018 kicked off at Kathmandu, the capital Nepal. President of Nepal Bidya Devi Bhandari inaugurated the exhibition.
ii. The basic objective of Expo is to unleash massive hydropower potential of Nepal and bring all stakeholders under one roof.
- Nepal Capital- Kathmandu, Currency- Nepalese rupee, Prime Minister- Sher Bahadur Deuba.