GK Update 1st Dec 2017
By: D.K Chaudhary
1. One rupee note turns 100 on 30th November 2017
1. One rupee note turns 100 on 30th November 2017
i. This smallest paper denomination note from India has traveled through a glorious historical journey all over the world since it was issued for the public. As the argument over the government’s decision to scrap high-value currency notes is still raging, our one rupee note has completed a century! The first one rupee note was printed in India on November 30, 1917, with the photo of King George V. This was the time when India was under the British rule.
ii. The origin of the 1 Rupee note lies in the World War I where the inability to mint coins forced the then colonial authorities to shift to printing Re 1 notes in 1917.
More Update on One rupee note turns 100 on 30th November 2017
2. Skill India partners with Airbnb to Upskill hospitality Entrepreneurs
i. The Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship’s implementation arm National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC) and the Tourism and Hospitality Sector Skill Council (THSC) signed a tripartite an MoU with Airbnb to provide hospitality skills training to hospitality micro-entrepreneurs in India.
ii. Through the partnership, the Ministry of Skill Development & Entrepreneurship, Airbnb, NSDC and THSC will work together to create an accredited skill development module for hospitality entrepreneurs offering homestay facilities, unique accommodations and local experiences.
- Dharmendra Pradhan, Hon’ble Minister in Skill Development and Entrepreneurship and Minister in Petroleum and Natural Gas, Government of India.
- US Based Airbnb is an online marketplace and hospitality service.
3. SAUBHAGYA Scheme Launched in Manipur
i. The Pradhan Mantri Sahaj Bijli Har Ghar Yojana (SAUBHAGYA) was launched in Manipur, by Union Minister of State (IC) for Power and New & Renewable Energy, R.K. Singh and N. Biren Singh, Chief Minister of Manipur.
ii. A total of approximately 1.75 lakh households (1.62 lakh rural households and 0.13 lakh urban households) of Manipur are proposed to be included under the Scheme.
- The objective of the ‘Saubhagya’ is to provide energy access to all by last mile connectivity and electricity connections to all remaining un-electrified households in rural as well as urban areas to achieve universal household electrification in the country.
4. Mirabai Chanu wins gold medal at IWFWWC
i. Mirabai Chanu became the first Indian in over two decades to claim a gold medal at the World Weightlifting Championship in Anaheim, USA. Chanu lifted 85kg in snatch and 109kg in clean and jerk to total an impressive 194kg in the women’s 48kg, in the process setting a new national record.
ii. Olympic bronze medalist Karnam Malleshwari had won the top prize in worlds twice- in 1994 and 1995. Some of the world’s top weightlifting nations such as Russia, China, Kazakhstan, Ukraine and Azerbaijan could not take part in the competition due to issues related to doping.
5. Odisha Releases Rs 365 crore for rain-hit Farmers in 19 Districts of State
i. Odisha government has released about 365 crore rupees for the rain-hit farmers in 19 districts of the State. The fund was released from the State Disaster Relief Fund to be distributed as agriculture input subsidy among farmers who sustained crop loss due to unseasonal rain during the third week of this month (November).
ii. Nearly four lakh hectares of agricultural land in 14720 villages were affected by unseasonal rain. Special Relief Commissioner B P Sethi stated that the farmers would get input subsidy for maximum two hectares.
- Naveen Patnaik is present Chief Minister of Odisha.
- SC Jamir is present governor of Odisha.
- Bhubaneswar is capital city of Odisha.
6. IOA Formally Recognises Boxing Federation of India
i. The Boxing Federation of India (BFI) was recognised as a national body by the Indian Olympic Association, which removed the terminated Indian Amateur Boxing Federation (IABF) as its affiliate after months of indecision.
ii. The BFI, already recognised by the International Boxing Association (AIBA) and the Sports Ministry, finally got the IOA’s nod, which had IABF registered as the official body till now. The IOA’s decision is expected to end the IABF’s attempts at reviving itself.
- AIBA founded in 1946.
- AIBA headquarters is in Lausanne, Switzerland.
7. Odisha CM Unveils Logo & Mascot of Hockey World Cup 2018
i. Logo and mascot of Hockey World Cup 2018 have been unveiled at Kalinga Stadium in Bhubaneswar by Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik. Odisha had successfully hosted the Asian Athletics Championships recently.
ii. As many as 16 countries, including hosts India, will participate in the 14th edition of the Hockey World Cup. The Chief Minister also launched the countdown timer for the international event scheduled to be held in Bhubaneshwar next year.
- The 2014 Men’s Hockey World Cup was held in The Hague, Netherlands.