1. Textiles India 2017: India’s first-ever mega trade event
- The Textiles India 2017 opened to public today. The exhibition was inaugurated by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi, at Helipad Ground, Gandhinagar.
- Textile India 2017 is the first summit of its kind. This maiden initiative is a collaborative effort of several Export Promotion Councils under the Ministry of Textiles, with Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) being the industry partner.
- This mega exhibition showcases India’s strength in the entire gamut of textile and apparel value chain, from fibre to fashion.
2. Senior advocate KK Venugopal to succeed Mukul Rohatgi as attorney general
- President Pranab Mukherjee on Friday approved the appointment of senior advocate KK Venugopal as the next attorney general of India.
- Incumbent Mukul Rohatgi had declined an offer to extend his term.
- Venugopal had served as the additional solicitor general in former Prime Minister Morarji Desai’s government
3. IPS officer Mahesh Bhagwat hailed as ‘hero’ in US State Department report
- IPS officer Mahesh Bhagwat has won the U.S. government’s 2017 Trafficking in Persons Hero award.
- He was awarded for his leadership in combating modern slavery in India, his role in elevating human trafficking as a government priority and his innovative approach to investigating cases.
4. India denied consular access to Kulbhushan Jadhav for the 18th time
- Pakistan on Sunday rejected India’s request for consular access to former Indian Navy officer Kulbhushan Jadhav for the 18th time.
- Jadhav, who was arrested from Pakistan’s Balochistan province in March 2016, was sentenced to death by a Pakistani military court on charges of espionage and terrorism in April 2017.
- Pakistan’s Foreign Office said India was suppressing facts by calling the former naval officer a ‘common prisoner’
5. ‘A Billion Colour Story’ film wins top award at UK festival
- A new film about Hindu-Muslim unity bagged the top prize at the annual London Indian Film Festival (LIFF).
- ‘A Billion Colour Story’, produced by Bollywood filmmaker Satish Kaushik and directed by Padmakumar Narasimhamurthy, won the Audience Award at the festival
1.Chinese heavy-lift carrier rocket launch fails
- China’s launch of a new heavy-lift rocket, the Long March-5 Y2, carrying what the government said was its heaviest ever satellite, failed on Sunday, official news agency Xinhua said.
- The same rocket type had been expected to take China’s latest lunar probe to the Moon this year and to return with samples.
- An anomaly occurred during the flight of the rocket,” Xinhua said after the rocket blasted off early evening from the southern island province of Hainan.
2. India contributes $500,000 to UN Peacebuilding Fund
- India has contributed $500,000 to the UN Peacebuilding Fund, expressing hope that more funding by nations will boost efforts by the world body to build and sustain peace.
- India has been a member of the Peacebuilding Commission since its inception in December 2005
- India has so far contributed $5 million to the Peacebuilding Fund.
3.List of demands made by four Arab states was meant to be rejected, says Qatar’s foreign minister
- Qatar’s Foreign Minister Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al Thani on Saturday rejected the 13 demands made by Saudi Arabia and its allies
- Qatar had been given till Monday to comply with the demands. Al Thani said the country does not fear any military retaliation for refusing to meet the deadline.
- He also said such conflicts must be worked out through talks and negotiations and not by imposing ultimatums.
4. Shamma Jain appointed Indian envoy to Greece
- Senior diplomat Shamma Jain was today appointed as India’s ambassador to Greece.
- A 1983-batch Indian Foreign Service officer, Jain is currently serving as Indian envoy to Panama.
- Jain succeeds M Manimekalai as Indian envoy in Greece.
1 .PNB To Block All Maestro Debit Cards Soon
- Punjab National Bank (PNB) Maestro debit cards holders will face a card blockage if they fail to replace it with a more secure EMV chip based card by the end of this month.
- Punjab National Bank has identified that there are about one lakh customers with old Maestro debit cards and has started sending them SMSes as well.
- The replacement is as per RBI advisory issued in 2015, asking all the banks to migrate to a much secured EMV chip based cards, an official of the bank said.
2. GST Council cuts GST rate on fertilizers
- Union Minister for Chemicals & Fertilizers and Parliamentary Affairs, Ananthkumar briefed the media on the outcome of the 18th meeting of the GST Council
- The Minister said that it was decided to reduce the GST rate of fertilizers from the existing 12% to 5%. This decision was primarily taken in the interests of the farmers.
3. Sunil Mittal Takes Home Over Rs. 30 Crore In Annual Pay In FY17
- Sunil Bharti Mittal, Chairman of India’s largest telecom operator Bharti Airtel, took home an annual pay package of Rs. 30.1 crore for 2016-17.
- The package was over 8 per cent higher than the previous year, when Mittal had drawn Rs. 27.8 crore.
- Mittal, who was last year re-appointed as Chairman of the company for another five years, received salary and allowances of Rs. 20.13 crore, while the performance-linked incentive stood at Rs. 9 crore during FY17.
4. Health Ministry’s mobile app eVIN wins GSMA Asia Mobile Award
- Indigenously developed mobile application for digitising vaccine logistics, eVIN, has won the prestigious GSMA Asia Mobile Award 2017 (AMO) for outstanding contribution to the UN’s sustainable development goals in Asia.
- The Electronic Vaccine Intelligence Network (eVIN) is an online real-time vaccine logistics management system developed and implemented by the Ministry of Health and the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP).
1. Confederations Cup: Portugal beat Mexico to claim third place
- Adrien Silvascored an extra-time penalty as Portugal recovered from a goal down to beat Mexico 2-1 in Sunday’s third-place play-off at the Confederations Cup in Moscow.
- World champions Germany face Copa America holders Chile later in the final in Saint Petersburg.< li>
2. Eighth win in a row for Marc Marquez at Sachsenring
- Honda’s Marc Marquez continued his reign as ‘King of the Sachsenring’ with an eighth successive win at the German Grand Prix
- This Win sent him back to the top of the MotoGP championship standings on Sunday.
- The Spaniard, who has also started eight times in a row from pole position in Germany, was pushed hard by local hero Jonas Folger who finished a stirring second for the non-works Yamaha Tech3 team