By: D.K Chaudhary
1. Railways launches India’s first solar-powered DEMU train
i. Indian Railways launched its first 1,600 HP solar powered Diesel Electric Multiple Unit (DEMU) train with a unique facility of Battery Bank from Safdarjung station, New Delhi.
ii. A solar power DEMU train with six trailer coaches will save about 21,000 Litres of Diesel and thereby bring cost saving of Rs.12 Lac every year.
- Suresh Prabhakar Prabhu is the current railway minister of India.
- The DEMU train has been manufactured by Integral Coach Factory, Chennai.
2. World Youth Skills Day: 15 July
i. World Youth Skills Day is being observed globally on 15th July. The objective of the day is to raise awareness about the importance of investing in youth skills development.
ii. The theme of this year is “Skills for the Future of Work”.
- The first World Youth Skills Day (WYSD) was celebrated on 15 July 2015.
3. Railways launches mobile app that does more than just booking
i. Indian Railways launched an integrated mobile application to cater to various passenger requirements over and above ticket booking. The new app will include inquiry, on-board cleaning and ordering meal on a single platform. The app is called Rail SAARTHI and was launched by Railway Minister.
ii. The Rail SAARTHI (synergised advanced application rail travel help and information) such as safety for women, complaint facility and suggestion for improvement. One can also book air ticket through the app and give feedback.
4. Raipur Airport Ranked First in Customer Satisfaction Index Survey
i. Raipur’s Swami Vivekananda Airport was ranked first in Customer Satisfaction among 49 airports in the country.
ii. Raipur Airport achieved 4.84 score on a five point scale index in the latest CSI (Customer Service Index) survey conducted by an independent agency for the period of January-June 2017, followed by Udaipur, Amritsar and Dehradun airports which have scored 4.75, 4.74 and 4.73 respectively.
Important Takeaways from Above News-
- Airports Authority of India (AAI) was constituted by an Act of Parliament and came into being on 1st April 1995.
- Dr. Guruprasad Mohapatra is the Chairman of AAI.
5. India ranks 116 out of 157 nations on SDG index
i. India is ranked 116 out of 157 nations on a global index that assesses the performance of countries towards achieving the ambitious sustainable development goals (SDGs). The SDG Index and Dashboards Report produced by the Sustainable Development Solutions Network (SDSN) and the Bertelsmann Stiftung.
ii. India is ranked 116th on the index with a score of 58.1, behind countries such as Nepal, Iran, Sri Lanka, Bhutan and China.
iii. Pakistan is ranked 122. Sweden leads the list, followed by Denmark and Finland.
- The UN Sustainable Development Solutions Network (SDSN) has been operating since 2012 under the auspices of the UN Secretary-General.
- SDGs were adopted in September 2015 at the UN Sustainable Development Summit in New York, US.