1. Telecom Commission of India approves Net Neutrality
i. The Telecom Commission has approved the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India’s (TRAI) net neutrality recommendations that bar service providers from discriminating against internet content and services by blocking, throttling or granting them higher speed access.
ii. The decision that aims to ensure open and free Internet in the country was taken at a meeting of the Commission, the highest decision-making body in the Department of Telecommunication in New Delhi.
- Aruna Sundararajan is the chairman of Telecom Commission.
- Manoj Sinha is the Minister of State (I/C) of the Ministry of Communications.
2. South Korean President Moon Jae-in’s Visit To India: Complete Highlights
i. South Korean President Moon Jae-in was in India on a four-day visit from July 8 to July 11, 2018. This was his first visit to India. He was accompanied by First Lady Kim Jung-sook.
ii. Here are the main events that took place during the visit:
1. President Moon attended the India-Korea business forum:
Korean President Moon Jae-in spoke at the India-Korea Business Forum. This was organized by the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI).
3. Madhya Pradesh CM Inaugurated NTPC’s Solar Plant
i. Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chauhan inaugurated state-run power giant National Thermal Power Corporation Limited (NTPC) 250 MW Solar Power Plant in Mandsaur.
ii. According to NTPC, this project has been set up mainly on non-agricultural land and generation of electricity has been achieved without affecting the natural eco-system with zero carbon emission at an investment of about Rs 1,500 crore.
iii. This is one of the biggest solar plant developed using domestically manufactured Solar cells and modules under the Make in India initiative.
- Anandiben Patel is the Present Governor of Madhya Pradesh.
4. Railways Launched Its 1st Consolidated Bridge Management System
i. The Railways has launched its first consolidated Bridge Management System, a web-enabled IT application to store data on its one lakh 50 thousand bridges. Railways Minister Piyush Goyal launched the service in New Delhi for “meaningful assimilation, analysis and dissemination of information related to various activities” about its bridges.
ii. Mr Goyal also distributed awards to the Station Beautification competition. Balharshah and Chandrapur railway stations in Maharashtra from the Central Railway were awarded the first prize.
- John Mathai was the first Railways Minister of Independent India.
5. Mukesh Ambani Dethrones Alibaba’s Jack Ma As Asia’s Richest Person
i. Reliance Industries Chairman and India’s richest person Mukesh Ambani dethroned Chinese e-commerce company Alibaba’s Co-founder Jack Ma to become Asia’s richest person as RIL shares hit an all-time high.
ii. Ambani’s net worth now stands at $44.3 billion as compared to Jack Ma’s $44 billion wealth, according to Bloomberg. Ambani has added $4 billion to his wealth this year.