5. Vice President 3-Nation Visit: India, Romania Agree To Intensify Cooperation At UN
i. India and Romania have agreed to intensify cooperation at the United Nations and other multilateral fora in order to address global challenges.
ii. It was issued in a statement after one to one talks between Vice President Venkaiah Naidu and President of Romania, Mr. Klaus Werner Lohannis in Bucharest.
- Romania Capital: Bucharest, Currency: Romanian leu.
6. Interest Rates On PPF, NSC, Other Small Savings Schemes Raised
i. The government has raised interest rates on Small Savings Schemes (SSS), including National Savings Certificate (NSC) and Public Provident Fund (PPF) by up to 0.4% for the October-December quarter, in line with rising deposit rates in the banks.
ii. Interest rates for small savings schemes are notified on a quarterly basis.
7. ESIC Approves Atal Bimit Vyakti Kalyan Yojna For Cash Relief To Unemployed Insured Persons
i. The Employees’ State Insurance Corporation (ESIC) has approved a new scheme- Atal Bimit Vyakti Kalyan Yojna for Insured Persons covered under the Employees’ State Insurance Act.
ii. The decision was taken at the ESIC board meeting chaired by the Labour Minister Santosh Gangwar in New Delhi.
iii. The ESIC also approved the proposal for increasing the funeral expenses from existing 10 thousand rupees to 15 thousand rupees being paid on the death of Insured Person.
8. India Post Payments Bank, Bajaj Allianz Join Hands ‘To Provide Insurance To All’
i. State-owned India Post Payments Bank (IPPB) and Private Life Insurer Bajaj Allianz Life Insurance Co Ltd (BALIC) entered into a strategic partnership to provide life insurance solutions, especially at the doorstep of every household in the country.
ii. This partnership will leverage IPPB’s last mile reach for building awareness about life insurance. Both the companies came together, to formally sign the Corporate Agency Agreement.
- IPPB has begun operations with 650 branches and 3,250 access points across the country.
- IPPB CEO- Suresh Sethi.
9. Government Appoints New MD & CEOs At 10 PSBs: Here Is All You Need To Know
i. The government of India cleared the appointment of Chief Executive Officers and Managing Directors (CEOs and MDs) at 10 Public Sector Banks (PSBs).
ii. Here is the list of people appointed as MD and CEO at various PSBs:
1. Padmaja Chundru – Indian Bank.
2. Mrutyunjay Mahapatra – Syndicate Bank.
3. Pallav Mohapatra – Central Bank of India.
4. Packirisamy – Andhra Bank.
5. Karnam Sekar – Dena Bank.
NOTE: All of the above people are currently deputy MDs at SBI.
6. SS Mallikarajuna Rao – Allahabad Bank – He is currently the ED of Syndicate Bank.
7. AS Rajeev – Bank of Maharashtra – He is currently the ED of Indian Bank.
8. Atul Kumar Goel – UCO Bank – He is currently the ED at Union Bank of India.
9. S Harisankar – Punjab & Sind Bank. He is currently the Executive Director of Allahabad Bank.
10. Ashok Kumar Pradhan –
United Bank of India – He is currently the ED of United Bank of India.
10. Top Scientist KN Vyas Appointed Atomic Energy Commission Chief
i. Renowned scientist Kamlesh Nilkanth Vyas has been appointed the secretary of the Department of Atomic Energy and chairman of the Atomic Energy Commission. Mr Vyas, who is at present Director of Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC), has been appointed in place of Shekhar Basu.
ii. Mr Basu was appointed to the post in October 2015 and his tenure was to end in September 2016.
11. National Sports Awards 2018 Announced: Complete List of Winners
i. National Sports Awards are given every year to recognize and reward excellence in sports.
ii. Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award is given for the spectacular and most outstanding performance in the field of sports by a sportsperson over a period of four year.